Saturday, December 29, 2012
Flying Home
I guess my travel woes aren't limited to work trips. I took my boyfriend home with me for Christmas this year, and we decided to fly instead of making the 10-hour drive. The good news was that I had a $400 credit on United for getting bumped last November, so I was able to get us great tickets without paying an arm and a leg. All went well on the trip to Nashville last week, but the trip home became somewhat of an adventure. We were supposed to fly back to Lawrence yesterday on a 6:10pm flight. At about 3:30, I checked my email one last time and discovered that United had cancelled our flight. Uh-oh. Apparently there was bad weather in Chicago so they were delaying all the flights headed that way. Since our flight didn't have many people on it, they just outright canceled it. We discovered that United had put us on a noon flight today that was to go through Cleveland. Unfortunately, that particular flight sequence included a 4-hour layover in Cleveland. Lovely. I looked at United's available flights and discovered one that was scheduled to leave Nashville at 5:05pm yesterday, going through Charlotte. We sped over to the airport to try to make that flight, but the odds were against us. We arrived right at 4pm, but proceeded to stand in line until 4:20pm. Clearly, there was no way we'd make that flight. So, we just got our boarding passes printed and went back outside. Thankfully, Mom and Dad were willing to wait for us just in case we didn't make it. So, we got an unexpected extra night in Nashville, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I was able to call the pet sitter to make sure the bunnies were taken care of, so that worked out. Now, here I sit in the Cleveland airport in our 4-hour layover. I'll admit, it's not that bad of a place to be stuck, and they have free Wifi, which is always a plus. I have two trips scheduled for work in January. Hopefully the weather won't continue to be a problem!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment