Friday, March 4, 2011

Gatlinburg Conference, Day 3 wrap up

Home again to freezing cold and rainy Kansas.  I already miss warm and balmy San Antonio!  The Riverwalk is absolutely beautiful, and I highly recommend it!


the view from a balcony at Hotel Contessa

My first poster presentation on Wednesday evening was a success. I enjoyed meeting and talking with well-established researchers whose papers I've read as well as new graduate students working on another part of the larger project I'm a part of.  Granted, my feet were protesting very much by the time I sat down in my room, but all in all it was a good evening.

On Thursday I heard some great presentations and discussions during the symposia I attended, as well as from the plenary speakers, including Dr. Cheryl Sisk.  I'm really starting to like these conference things!

I also got to go to the Alamo on Thursday, after lunch on the Riverwalk.  Wow.  Talk about a piece of history smack dab in the middle of the city!  We also managed to be there on the week of the 175th anniversary week (the Alamo fell on March 6), which made things interesting.


me at the Alamo


Back at the conference, I attended yet another fascinating symposium, then wandered among the posters at the second poster session.  Once we got our fill, several of us went to eat at a recommended bar-b-que place on the Riverwalk.  It was delicious!

This morning, I woke up extra early to pack and then attended the last symposium and plenary speaker session.  Dr. Laurence Steinberg gave a great talk.  During the closing remarks, there was a drawing for free books from the publisher sponsor, Brookes.  My name was drawn, so I got to choose a stack of books to bring home!  So now I have in my possession a handbook of intellectual and developmental disabilities, which I'm sure will come in very handy.

I can't wait for next year's Gatlinburg!

No comments: