Thursday, August 5, 2010

Rental Car Frustration. Again.

When we went to Pennsylvania a couple weeks ago, I had just recently gotten my Kansas driver's license.  Most states nowadays print you the real card right there while you wait.  But not Kansas.  They gave me a piece of paper that was the size of a receipt with my DL number, info, and picture on it.  Talk about old-fashioned.  It didn't help that the picture was 3 times the size it is on the card.  Anyway, they told me my real card would come in the mail in 2-3 weeks and that this paper one was perfectly valid and would be accepted if I got pulled over (which thankfully didn't happen).  Well, we left on a Friday for Pennsylvania and the card hadn't arrived yet.  So, I brought my passport to get through airport security because I figured they wouldn't appreciate the paper license ID in Kansas City and they'd really put up a fuss in Philly.  With the passport, of course, I made it through.  Once in Philly, we took the customary rental car facility shuttle to Alamo and I got in line to pick up our car.  I approached the counter and the CSR and I began finalizing my rental.  All went well, until...she asked for my driver's license.  I handed her my perfectly valid paper license.  She looked at it, looked at me (I matched the picture!), then informed me she couldn't accept it.  I was furious.  Absolutely furious.  Thankfully, my colleague was able to rent the car so we were able to continue our trip.  Alamo wouldn't let me pay for the rental, though, even when we returned the car.  That was even more infuriating because I'd received an advance from the grant for the amount of the rental and I would therefore owe them money.  It's just not fun coming home from one of these trips and having to write a check to the people who usually owe you money.  To top off the whole thing, I checked my mail on Monday afternoon and there was my new license in card form.  Aaaggghhh!!!

No comments: