I feel like I should have something profound to say in the two days before I begin my second year as a graduate student, but nothing comes to mind. I did get more unpacking done this evening, but there's still a ways to go. Thankfully the weather is more or less cooperating so our two-week excessive heat warning has been lifted. That makes carting boxes to the garage(!) much nicer. Yes, I do have a garage. It is amazing. It will be even more amazing once the snow starts this winter. It was great during the heat wave because it meant the car didn't get nearly so hot. Now, this is only at home, so the car still bakes in the parking lot at work, but hey, I'll take what I can get when it comes to cooling off my car! Oh, and I suppose having the A/C checked and fixed had something to do with the fact that my car quickly becomes an igloo. Speaking of my car, I got to work via driving and riding the Park & Ride bus for the first time today. I think it's gonna work, and it sure will save me a lot of hassle trying to find a spot to park either in the close parking lot or on the street near work. And the Park & Ride bus drops me off right across the street from work, so you can't get much better than that. Hopefully I'll still feel the same about it come Thursday when the rest of KU's student body emerges from the summer!
This will be an interesting but busy semester since I'll be enrolled in only 3 classes so that I can work on my Master's thesis. This time next fall I should have my MA in Child Language! I was accepted to be on Dr. Mabel Rice's training grant for this year, which means I'll make a little more money but I'll have more responsibilities. The point of the traineeship is to train new researchers in Child Language via coursework and multiple research experiences. So, in addition to my current work in the Fragile X lab, I'll also be starting a secondary lab experience in Dr. Hugh Catts' reading lab. It should be interesting. Oh, and in the FXS lab we're almost finished with data collection for Time 4, which means we are talking about posters and papers to draft in the very near future. I can't wait!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment